Sunday, November 7, 2010

Yawning

I rode Cici with her rope halter for the first time yesterday. What was interesting was how some issues, like resistance to left lateral flexion are the same as with the bridle. Right lateral flexion was about the same as with the bridle. Lifting one rein for a stop was so much better, and backing was light and right there. Hmmm how interesting.

We just walked around the ring. Stick to the rail, and then circles through the question box. Stick to the rail went better than usual. I'm not going to discuss the strange shapes we were making in the middle of the ring.

After a while she started to yawn when we were stopped in the question box. Once she started it didn't seem that she could stop. She yawned with her head down, she yawned with her head straight out in front, she lifted her head way way up to the rafters and yawned and yawned and yawned.

Normally I am pleased when I bore her into yawning when I ride ; -) But this was different, such a huge release from her jaw. I know she holds a lot of her tension in her mouth, can see her lips pursed, chin tight. Takes a lot for her to relax there. When I put her bridle on the next time I plan on pay specific attention to how she holds the bit. Oh boy!

No comments: