Friday, July 2, 2010

Day after

Cici was focused on me today! Still tuned up from Avery on Wednesday. Backing I still had to go to Phase 4 but after the first set of 3s she would anticipate the rope swing and get moving backwards. I will have to be really attentive to maintaining this lightness. Can see how I fell into nagging last time around.

She didn't do as much anticipating. And was much faster to stop when she did. Still came in a lot more than I thought, but got to practice our backing again. Overall she was a lot softer and quieter and listening. Not zoning out in her own world. So everything took less time. Now this was interesting as I hadn't done anything with her yesterday, took the day off and Rob and I went to Ogunquit for a beach day. And today I was going out with Vivian for a trail ride, so got to the barn earlier to have lots of time to get everything done before our agreed time. That adage have an hour it will take 15 minutes, have 15 minutes it will take an hour certainly held true today. Allowed extra time and didn't need it.

We also worked on sideways, and especially sideways as part of change of direction. Both of us were working on this!

Saddle her up and played some more. She cantered on the 22 foot line with slack in the rope! Soft trot with slack in the rope. We were ready almost a half hour early! So I got on to see our pattern. Only two loops and she stopped on just a lift of rein and my exhale. Ready for the trails!

Oh how nice to have her right there for me. We walked down to the barn and waited outside for Vivian to finish tacking up. Cici just stood quietly. On the trails she was still occassionally grabbing for leaves either in the trees or on the ground. Avery had shortened my stirrups and today for the first time in a long time I felt my hips swinging!!!!!! Had this when riding in the ring also. But on the trails awesome!!!

One more thing. Last night was watching Rick Lamb on RFDTV and he was interviewing Pat and Linda. A viewer asked a question about head shaking. And they both said, well if a horse does not want to move its feet they will move their head! Light bulb moment!!!!! Also it is or can be a dominance thing. Ya think! Cici - backing. Yup does not want to move her feet. Well that changed today. I didn't pay any attention when she did try the shake, and it didn't come back. Now hmmm how interesting! Oh Boy!

No comments: