Friday, February 26, 2010

Tarp Blanket

Boy its been a long time between posts. And I've been doing so much that I keep thinking about posting but don't quite get to. So looking back at the blanketing issue I decided I need to work on this.

I decided to use my small blue tarp, its wrapped up into a bundle and tied with a string. And the last time I tied it up I left a long part of the string hanging. Now I know why. It is the perfect length for me to hold onto the end of the string and drag the tarp bundle on the ground. And to hold onto the end and toss the tarp bundle up on Cici's back, and over her back, and around her feet and infront of her nose. And just all around her with not much effort (a good thing as this was still while my left arm had limited motion and strength).

I spent a couple of days just playing with the tarp bundle. At first she would do that startle in place she does when it touched her, but with lots of approach and retreat she got so she didn't seem to mind.

I then moved on the unwrapped tarp. I'd just grab one end and start to walk away from Cici. All of this tarp stuff was done with her at liberty. She could follow or not. Her choice. And yes she would always follow. Sometimes a stride behind sometimes 5 or 6 strides behind. I'd just walk along, checking over my shoulder to see where she was. And if she started off a ways behind she would always catch up to me and smell the tarp when I stopped. If I dropped it she would walk over it. If I kept walking she would ultimately walk beside me. Sometimes on her left side, sometimes on her right side.

Next I'd stop and open the tarp in front of her. If she remained confident and relaxed, I'd take the tarp to her side. And then rub her with the tarp. Progressed to throwing the crinkly tarp on her back. Smoosh it around on her back to make lots of noise. If she moved I'd retreat.

Spent 7 days doing this. At end of this time I could throw the tarp over her head! And get her blanket on with her checking me out for treats. Wow!

No comments: